New instructions sent to penal institutions should contribute to the greater safety of the vulnerable groups deprived of liberty and respect of their fundamental human rights during the confinement. The instructions, prepared by the Ministry of Justice, are based on the Ombudswoman Lora Vidović’s recommendation, issued after the case of harassment of a person with intellectual disorder, reported by the media.
Having in mind the responsibility of a state to ensure an effective preventive mechanism against violence, one of preconditions for a successful prevention is identification of persons in vulnerable conditions at the beginning of the confinement procedure. It is also important to detect all factors that might augment or diminish the risk of manipulation and harassment when choosing a penal body, work engagement, application of stronger surveillance special measures and other.
- Ombudswoman to Chair European Network of Equality Bodies (Equinet)
- European Commission’s Recommendation to Croatia: Ensure Follow-Up to the Ombudswoman’s Recommendations and the Access to Information
- Exchanging Experiences with Armenian Colleagues on the Protection of the Persons Reporting Irregularities
- International Day in Support of Victims of Torture
- World Refugee Day
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day