“A safety net for the people of Europe”: 65 years of the European Convention on Human Rights
The Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, better known as the European Convention on Human Rights, entered into force on 3 September 1953.
Ahead of the anniversary, Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjørn Jagland said: “The European Convention on Human Rights is a unique safety net protecting more than 830 million people. “Whether applied by national courts or the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, the Convention has changed people’s lives in many different ways across the whole continent. It has played a key role in promoting stability and security in Europe over the last 65 years and, at a time when the continent is facing many serious challenges, its safeguards remain as crucial as ever.”
The Convention is a legally-binding international treaty that has been signed and ratified by all 47 member states of the Council of Europe. When joining the Convention, states voluntarily commit to upholding people’s basic rights and freedoms including the right to life, the right to a fair trial and the right to free speech. Individuals can bring complaints against member states to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, which has the final say on interpreting the Convention and its case-law. Member states are obliged to implement judgments from the Strasbourg Court.
Croatia has ratified the Convention in 1997. You can visit this link to find out more about the execution of judgements of the European Court of Human Rights.
- Javni poziv za izbor zamjenika/zamjenice pučke pravobraniteljice
- Konferencijom „Ljudska prava u Hrvatskoj“ obilježili smo 75 godina od donošenja Opće deklaracije o ljudskim pravima UN-a
- Usvojeni prijedlozi pravobraniteljice – uskoro bolja zaštita starijih koji potpisuju ugovore o uzdržavanju
- Slučaj Budak: Bolnica provela preporuke pravobraniteljice, Ministarstvo zdravstva daleko manje otvoreno za preporučene promjene
- Deset godina Nacionalnog pozivnog centra za žrtve kaznenih djela i prekršaja
- Obilježavanje Dana sjećanja na žrtve Domovinskog rata i Dana sjećanja na žrtvu Vukovara i Škabrnje