Deputy Ombudswoman Maja Kević and adviser Anica Tomšić Stojkovska took part at the meeting of the South East National Preventive Mechanism’s Network (SE NPM) on 11 and 12 June 2019 in Skopje, Northern Macedonia, hosted by the Macedonian NPM. The main theme of the agenda was prevention from the punishment of persons who deliver information to NPM, guaranteed by the UN Convention against torture and Other Cruel, Inhumane or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
On that occasion Deputy Ombudswoman Kević presented the work of the Croatian NPM which functions as a part of the Croatian ombudsman’s institution and the new work methodology covering both preventive and reactive approach in case of punishment.
The meeting concluded with the recommendation to protect persons who cooperate and share information with NPM as the institutions have to be aware that harassment and retaliation may occur in all detention places. It is necessary that NPMs ensure all prerequisites for acting in line with the principle „do not any harm“ meaning that no one shall not be punished for fulfilling the NPM mandate. Hence, it is also important to strengthen activities in building the confidence in order to stimulate all persons to freely and without fear talk with the NPM members.
- (no title)
- Ombudswoman investigates the state of environment and public health protection measures after the fire in Jakuševec
- No institutional reaction to alleged illegal police treatment of migrants
- Ombudswoman warned the MI to grant NPM access to data on irregular migrants’ treatment
- Climate changes – reflections on Croatia
- Deputy Ombudswoman Tena Šimonović Einwalter opened Equinet seminar on age discrimination