On 4 July by a unanimous decision of the Executive Board of Equinet, the European Network of Equality Bodies gathering over 40 national equality bodies form all European member states and beyond, Ombudswoman Tena Šimonović Einwalter was elected to chair the network for another term, following her to earlier mandates at the same post in 2017-2019 and 2019-2021.
“We are at a historical point now, only months from the European Commission proposing EU legislation on Standards for Equality Bodies. It is both my duty and privilege to chair our network in such a moment. I am aware of the need for continuance in strong leadership to both Equinet and its members, and in the remaining part of the mandate, will offer the most out of my previous experience as chair, as well as from the years of advocating for and developing legislation on standards. Together we can make it a reality, and I am looking forward to the joint efforts to achieve this milestone,” stressed Ombudswoman Šimonović Einwalter accepting the nomination.
The extraordinary elections followed the announcement by Laurence Bond of his plan to retire in the autumn as the Director of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission (IHREC) and, therefore, also as member and Chair of the Equinet Executive Board. Mr. Bond took the opportunity to thank the Board and the Secretariat for the successful cooperation as well as to all of the Network’s members for their ongoing commitment and engagement, which makes Equinet such an inspiring network and such an important leader in promoting equality for all.
Ombudswoman Šimonović Einwalter will be serving as the network’s Chair until the end of 2023, when the regular elections for the Executive Board and Chair are set to take place.
- 30 years of the institution of the Ombudsman
- Conference of Ombudspersons and NHRIs Within the Framework of the First Parliamentary Summit of the Crimea Platform
- Advisor to the Ombudswoman Elected As SPT Member
- Study Visit by Members of the Kosovo Ombudsman Institution and the OSCE Mission in Kosovo on the Topic of Hate Crime
- World Homeless Day 2022: Through the Eyes of Those Who Assist Them
- Equinet Members Gather for the 2022 Annual General Assembly