Investigation following the coronavirus infection of long term care beneficiaries in Split
Ombudswoman Lora Vidović initiated an investigation after ten beneficiaries of the Home for the Elderly in Split were infected by the coronavirus. The media reports stated the Croatian Institute for Public Health was not informed when first symptoms appeared, so the Ombudswoman asked the Home director to clarify this information, provide details on the protective equipment used by employees, and other prevention measures being carried out, as well as the ways the beneficiaries who were not evacuated from the premises, were informed on the situation.
Reporting the first symptoms, or even the suspicion, of COVID-19 is the responsibility of every Home, as stipulated by the Instructions for Prevention and Suppression of the COVID-19 Epidemic in Homes for older persons and other institutions in the Welfare System of March 27, 2020. Therefore, the Ombudswoman also requested detailed information from Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Demography, Family, Youth and Social Policy, as well as from the Teaching Institute of Public Health, particularly regarding the need for further clarification or problems reported by the Home in the implementation of these guidelines.
After receiving all relevant information, assessment will be made whether the rights of the infected, but also other beneficiaries, were violated in this case.
- European Court of Human Rights Ruling – An Opportunity to Strengthen Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Croatia
- New Measures Introduced to Curb the Spread of COVID-19 – Protection, but also Rights Limitation: A Legal Analysis
- NHRIs COP26 Symposium – The Role of National Human Rights Institutions in Bridging the Accountability Gap in a Climate Emergency
- Social Welfare Draft Bill: Extensive Criticism Points to the Need for Wider Debate, More Focus on the Beneficiaries’ Needs
- Fifth Regional Conference of Equality Bodies from South-East Europe: Impact of COVID-19 on Equality
- Virtual Seminar: The role of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights in the Work of Equality Bodies and National Human Rights Institutions